Friday, April 21, 2023

Rhinestone Art or Diamond Painting


When it comes to art, I've always felt that I lacked the skills to create anything worthwhile. But I love colors. I tried my hands on doing cross stitch and paper clay art when I was younger. So, when I first heard about diamond painting or rhinestone art, I was excited to give it a try.

For those who don't know, diamond painting is a craft where you create an image by sticking small colored beads, called drills, onto a canvas using a special tool. It's a bit like paint-by-numbers, but with shiny gems instead of paint.

Last September 2020, I was clinically diagnosed with double depression--Persistent Depressive Disorder or PDD and Major Depressive Disorder or MDD. It was a difficult time for me, and I needed something to distract myself. I was sleeping for up to 22 hours a day. That was when my husband, Chino, gave me a diamond painting kit as a birthday gift. I had never tried diamond painting before, but once I tried it, I quickly became addicted to it.

Now, whenever I'm struggling with a major depressive episode, diamond painting gives me a sense of purpose. It's something I can do without having to think too hard, which is perfect for those days when even getting out of bed feels like a challenge. The repetitive process of picking up drills and placing them on the canvas is calming and meditative. It allows me to get out of my own head for a while and focus on something tangible.

One of the best things about diamond painting is that you don't need any special skills to get started. The process is straightforward, and there are plenty of beginner-friendly kits available online.

I have completed more than 30 diamond painting projects since September 2020, and each one brings me a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. I love the way the gems catch the light and the way the image slowly takes shape as I work.

If you're struggling with depression or just looking for a way to relax and unwind, I highly recommend giving diamond painting a try. It's a small, simple pleasure that can make a big difference in your mental health. Plus, there's something deeply satisfying about seeing a finished piece of art that you created yourself, even if you don't consider yourself a "real" artist.

Diamond painting has become an important part of my self-care routine. It's a small but powerful way to take care of myself and to find joy in the midst of difficult times.

Here are my completed diamond paintings:

Yun na! Pak!

No comments:

Post a Comment