Thursday, December 1, 2011

How I became a SEDPIp


This story has been told so many times but has not been really documented. With our recent strategic planning, I realized how this story, my story, has become part of our institutional memory. Therefore, it is only proper that this story be told in paper (well, you get my point).


It was 2005, the year I graduated from college. I was really not very eager to immediately find a job. I just stayed in our Program Office at the university to facilitate the turnover of our student organization, where I was previously the Chair. During one of my visits, I saw my former professor, Sir Vince. He asked me if I was interested to attend a training on microfinance. I was kinda hesitant at first. But when he mentioned that there was free food, who am I to refuse? He also mentioned that I do not need to pay the training fee. Plus, there was free food. I only needed to be a training assistant and distribute handouts and take care of logistical arrangements. That was the first Ateneo Microfinance Series delivered by SEDPI. That was my first microfinance training.

However, my days as a volunteer had to end. I had to go back to the real world—a world where I was jobless. A few days after, I started my application for work. I got accepted in a corporate foundation where I would monitor projects on education (which I thought was my passion) and in an events organizing company (which was recommended by another professor). I thought I would learn more and meet more people in events organizing. And so, I accepted the job offer.

I never thought that the job would be a nightmare. Let’s just say that I bought and read the book “The Devil Wears Prada” even before Meryl Streep popularized it. I would often buy bottled water and lunch for my boss. I would even buy her alcohol, with her preferred brand. My heart would beat fast (out of fear) during Sundays because I know that I had to go to the office the following day. I never felt so bad about myself. I always needed to have a drink after work. And during some of those night outs, Sir Vince would call me and ask me if I was interested to go with him to travel to some place and conduct researches or appraisals. I want to. But I couldn’t. I had a nine-to-six job.

And then came the tipping point. My boss and I were having an argument. When I could not take it any longer, I told my boss that I wanted to resign. She told me that I could leave by the end of 30-days. But I wanted to leave immediately. I asked her if I could resign instantly. Fortunately, she agreed. I left my first job, where I worked for a month.

I did not know what I felt at that point. Was I relieved that I was able to get away from this monster? Or was I sad that I just lost my job? I was about to go to the restroom to have a break when my phone rang. It was Sir Vince. His first question was, “kamusta trabaho? (How is your job?) At that instance, I let go. I started crying over the phone. I told him, “sir, wala na po akong trabaho.” (Sir, I no longer have a job.) He calmed me down and told me to go to their house so that we could talk about it.

I went over to their house. He told me that his organization would probably need a staff. However, they do not have the resources yet to pay me as high as what my batchmates are getting in their jobs. But then, he told me that the job would involve a lot of travel. Again, who am I to refuse? And so I accepted and became the first full-time staff of SEDPI.

I was getting minimum wage, which was less than half of what I was previously getting from my former job. I would take home around PhP5,000 a month. But I did not care. I was happy. Now, I’m getting a relatively high salary. I am still happy. I cannot say that I did not have any challenges along the way. I have thought of leaving the organization at times. But I came to a realization that no other organization will provide me the holistic happiness and contentment that I get from this company.

I have seen a lot of staff come and go. As time went by, we realized that not all people are fit for SEDPI or are SEDPI-able. It was a good thing that I was at the right place and right time and became a SEDPIp.

It has been six and a half years since I cried in that restroom. I do not know where I will be in the future. What I know is that I’ll always be thankful that I became a part of SEDPI. I’ll always be a true blue sedpip. Sedpip, loud and proud.



Yun na! Pak!



3 comments:

  1. in fair, ilang beses na ngang naikwento ito. haha. at in fair sa holistic happiness at contentment! there's like that?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. in fair, ganitong ganito nga ang pagkakakwento mo sakin nito. haha :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. charmie, of course! there's always like that! haha.

    xie, consitency is the key. waw! sabaw na ako.

    ReplyDelete