Saturday, October 12, 2024

Wrestling: Just One of the Weird Things I'm Into


One of the quirkiest things about me is my love for WWE wrestling. I've been watching WWE since I was 5 years old. Yes, that's 35 years of body slams, suplexes, and wild storylines that's much more dramatic than my actual life. At this point, it's not really an obsession (I promise!), but it's just one of those things that stuck with me. Some people collect stamps, others are plantitas--I watch people in spandex throw each other around for fun.

It's Not the Fights, It's the Drama


Most people assume wrestling fans are into the violence, but that's not really what gets me. I'm all about the storylines--the drama, the unexpected twists, the larger-than-life characters. It's like watching a live-action telenovela or soap opera, but with more body slams and steel chairs. You've got your heroes, your villains, epic betrayals, surprise comebacks--it's theater, but in a wrestling ring. That's what keeps me coming back.

The Family Connection


I actually got into wrestling because of my cousin. He was a big fan of the Ultimate Warrior, and we would often watch it when we're together as kids. Before I knew it, I was hooked too. It's probably in the blood because, as I later found out, my Lola Susie is a fan as well!

My titos and titas often comments when they see me watching wrestling that my Lola Susie also watches wrestling. They said that they see her watching women's wrestling. My lola and I never actually sat down and watched it together, but finding out she's a fan too just adds to the "it's in the blood" theory. It's one of those little things that connect us in a fun way.

Wrestling While Working


I like having background noise when I'm working, and what better soundtrack than a WWE match? I'll have it playing while I type away at e-mails or finish up tasks and reports. There's something about the commentary, the crowd noise, and the over-the-top entrances that helps me focus. And if a big moment happens, I'll look up and take a quick break from work. It's my own mix of productivity and entertainment.

It's not like I'm watching every second, but the energy of it is fun to have on. It's kind of like how some people listen to music while they work--except mine has wrestlers shouting and flipping off the ropes.

Live Wrestling


I've even had the chance to catch a few live WWE shows when they came to the Philippines. The energy in the arena is insane, and seeing wrestlers in person is something else. I have never watched an actual concert live, but I've watched a few WWE live shows, which are much more expensive than typical concerts. And I never regretted it.

But honestly, I'm just as happy watching from my couch at home, where the snacks are cheaper and I can pause whenever, I want!

Wrestling is Just My Thing


People find it weird that a 40-year old woman is still into wrestling. I just think it's fun. The drama, the characters, the ridiculous twists--it's all entertaining, and it gives me a break from the everyday grind. Plus, it's something that's been with me since I was a kid and it's stuck with me ever since.

So yeah, I'm still watching wrestling, and I'll probably be watching it for years to come. Not because I love the fighting--it's really all about the stories. It's just one of those weird things that make me who I am, and I'm totally cool with that.

Yun na! Pak!

No comments:

Post a Comment